What is a Gantt Chart?
Gantt Charts are important tools in managing projects that are complex. It is a visual representation of the tasks that are to be carried out. When using a Gantt chart, you can identify crucial resources and the times these resources are most needed.
5 Main Advantages of Using a Gantt Chart Template For Job Search Strategy
1. Easier sequencing of job and task.
2. Development of calendars (daily, weekly, monthly).
3. Idle periods can be processed and it’s easier to stay on track.
4. The flow of activities and deliverables can be simplified.
5. Due dates can be assigned.
6. Job search schedules and performances can be tracked.
Steps in Using a Gantt Chart for Job Search
1. Make a task list – a task list is like a shopping list of all the activities that you need to accomplish in your job search plan.
2. Input your task list into a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet – in each of the spreadsheet’s column; list the tasks, the times they started, the estimated duration of time needed to complete them and the earliest start date.
3. List all the tasks required using a graph paper with the days or weeks.
4. Plot the tasks on the graph paper – the time the tasks begin should be indicated starting on the earliest date. Illustrate the duration as a bar with the length of the bar representing the length of the task. Above the bars, write the length of the time needed to complete them. Schedule the tasks in a way that the actions are executed in a sequence. Make sure that dependent activities do not start unless the activated they depend on are completed.
Note: the Gantt chart and the project management diagram need not be complex to be effective. Nevertheless, your spreadsheet and chart will require the following columns: Task, Start Time, Length of time to complete, Resources, and Type (sequential or parallel).
Learning how to use a Gantt chart can be added to a person’s job search toolkit. If you are more of a tactile learner, you can go low-tech and use pen and paper to create it, using index cards with Velcro attached on the back in planning the tasks. This will make physically interacting with the chart more flexible.
In conclusion, Gantt charts will help you execute a stellar job search.